Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, May 3, 2015

A helpful bit of advice

I'm on vacation, so I'll keep this short. I discovered when searching the name of one of my novels on the internet that there are site(s) dedicated to KDP select that are not affiliated with Amazon. That is, the site(s), using the Kindle lending feature you authorized, downloads your book for free. Keeps it indefinitely, offers it to everybody and doesn't police it's two week return and of course sends you no royalty.

This brings up another question. Look at the goods and services offered on Amazon. Nobody gives their stuff away for free except writers.

DO WE DEVALUE OURSELVES AND OUR HARD WORK SO MUCH THAT WE SEE NO VALUE IN IT?

If we don't value our work, who will?

Since I'm in a bad mood now. Look at the value of typically a year's work. Price it and compare it to the recommended $2.99.

Conclusion, our sales are down, we work for peanuts and somebody is stealing our peanuts other than that have a great day. I will, because I'm going to change the way I perceive myself and the fruit of my creative labor.

Love ya,
Bob

4 comments:

  1. Bob: Does that mean you're going to raise the prices of your books? Can't say I blame you, but I think I saw a survey recently and the graph showed more books sold at $2.99 than any other price. Another one said romance readers are driving the market and they want to read lots of books so they need them to be cheap. Nevertheless, there's still no sure-fire way to get sales. You gotta do it for love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyllis,

      I don't think changing the price will help if I'm the only one doing it, but I will stop the lending and free stuff.

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Glad you were in a bad mood for this. I don't know why giving away books online is so acceptable - though I do grab my share when available. I'm not stupid! However, price is no indicator of how good a book is. I've bought several at like $5.99 that didn't even deserve to make $0.99. Reading a good book is a crap shoot anymore; so many authors can self publish anything, with no real quality standards. no wonder so many books are for free.

    Have a good vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dolorah,

      I've "bought" too many freebies and have ended up not reading most of them. as a reader not only devalue the book but devalue my ability to choose.

      Bob

      Delete