Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, September 20, 2020

SAVE THE CAT! WRITES A NOVEL

Last week I talked about starting a novel in the right place. In my current work in progress, I thought I had, but the beginning was missing something. It was flat. Something I had known when I wrote my first novel Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden. Picture how it would look and feel if it were a movie.

Inspiration done slapped me upside my head when I noticed and bought:

SAVE THE CAT! WRITES A NOVEL*** [by Jessica Brody]

I just picked this book up and it has already helped me improve the beginning of my latest work-in-progress. I’m about to be published by The Wild Rose Press and have written award winning novels, and yet the CAT book taught me something concrete and as I read along will probably help me again. I have always opened with an extremely visual and memorable scene until me current wip.

CAT says: “It [the opening image] should be a visual representation of your hero’s flawed life.” Before things change at the beginning of the novel.

Eureka. As soon as I read this I put the book down and pounded out a modification to my manuscript.

Before: Special Agent Kapinao arrived at 26 Federal Plaza and took the elevator to the twenty-third floor summoned by the Assistant Director for what would likely be a dressing down or outright firing. [Blah, blah, blah.]

After: FBI Special agent Kapinao, secured her still warm Sig Sauer P226, and ducked under the police tape in Washington Square Park. NYU students and other horrified people froze like statues. Reporters surrounded her, shouting questions. She shooed them as best she could and raced for her Yamaha with them chasing her like buzzing bees.

“No comment. Give me room.” She popped the clutch and in frustration and a little of in-your-face wheelied out of there into oblivion. This could be the end of her career.

Okay you can decide, but to me, I knew immediately. I didn’t start in the right place and the scene was not visually memorable.

CAT has been on sale for two years, has 1155 reviews averaging 4.8 and is number 2 in three categories today. But I just liked the cover, lol.

*** SAVE THE CAT! by Blake Snyder is a classic on screenwriting and highly recommended even if you only save one cat..


1 comment:

  1. I have this book on my wish list on Amazon - time I moved it and gave myself a belated birthday gift. Thanks for the reminder, Bob.

    ReplyDelete