Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, June 27, 2021

The big if

 No, this is not about a plot point. I have been fortunate to land three author collaborators for my new novel, The Chess Master. Which is not out yet because I'm searching for a publisher. The Wild Rose Press does not do coming of age stories like mine.

Why am I fortunate because of the collaborators? Did you self publish and struggle to find an audience? I did? I even struggled with my traditionally published book, Cinnamon & Sugar. Okay so what's the secret?

1. If you have friends that are writers and are more advanced in success with sales than you than ask them if they'd like to collaborate for a percentage. Hint: try ten percent of your gross.

2. Put your ego aside. You have a great story but because of the flood of books people aren't finding you (me).

One collaborator of mine has written more than 50 chess books and is preeminent in his field.

Another, the best man at my wedding, was the former president of the U.S. Chess Federation and has written a few books. he refused the 10%, and suggested a gift if it does well. It will.

Third but not least is a non-fiction author who is also an editor. She has made suggestions as they all will.

You tell me if this is a recipe for success. Time will also tell.

Note: I know it is not easy to land a successful; author on your team but it is worth a try. After all some small percentage for little work helps anyone who is trying to write for pay.

Note: The Chess Master is like The Queen's Gambit, but contemporary and with a heroine from different circumstances.

A possible tagline or blurb: A little girl loses her daddy and is left with the chess he taught her to remember him by.

No comments:

Post a Comment