Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, February 21, 2021

My battle with Facebook

 Since "Look Inside" was missing from my Amazon account for almost a month for Cinnamon & Sugar, I felt I needed to reboot. So I invested a small amount of money in a Facebook ad. They shot back that they objected to my focus on body parts. Maybe it was the cover, probably it was the shot of the young man in a bathing suit.

I know that's not what the book is all about but it is partially. So many romances are about attraction on a physical, mental, and spiritual level. It's very hard to show anything else on a cover. In fact, for years the romance industry was and is focused on beautiful people. I have noticed that production companies, such as Hallmark, are opening it up to various body types and sizes. ABC's Bachelor series has dived into interracial but the contestants are nearly all physically gifted. Singing shows focus on singing talent, no matter what the contestant looks like. Regarding romance and an audience for it, it won't be any time soon you'll hear the hero or heroine say, "he/she's ugly, but I'm attracted to her/him." Perhaps romance is confusing physical attraction for love. That's why at least for now, as writers, make sure to develop the WHY. Why are they together. And it had better be more than he has nice abs, much more.

If ever you have a choice on covers, choose the dramatic one over the pretty people one.

I have a chaste photo to try for prissy Facebook.

1 comment: