Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, August 16, 2020

This and that

I received back some minor edits from The Wild Rose Press. Having finished them, I decided to check one of my favorite peeves. In a 70,000 word manuscript, I found 350 THATs.

The idea is if the sentence can survive and be completely clear drop the THAT.

On top of that, if you want the THAT to be distant, keep it, but if you want it to be intimate as in point of view change it to THIS.

Example: She seemed to admire THAT bike. If the bike was his then consider THIS. It's possessive and more intimate.

Perhaps I'll put more about words that might need to go: then, very, really, like, truly, actually, extremely, simply, and many others, but today I want to finish the edits and get them back to TWRP.

Have fun writing.


1 comment: