Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Guys writing romance June 19, 2012

GUYS WRITING ROMANCE JUNE 19, 2012

A friend of mine told me I’d have to be gay to be any good at writing romance.

“You’d have to be gay to watch guys in tight clothing tackling each other for three or four hours straight, very straight [you’d be],” I said.

So there we were arguing during a moving moment of Project Runway. You know, I would have liked to hear what Austin Scarlet had to say about Mondo Guerra.

In previous posts, I talked about renaissance men, artists, and men who have harnessed both sides of their brain, imagine that.

Hemmingway wrote ‘write what you know’ and if female writers took his dictum too literally they’d never write male POV.

We ‘know’ through our common experiences and a good dose of empathy. We become nearly telepathic in understanding the opposite sex and we make up fantastic creatures that people can identify with.

Yes, we all make mistakes with the opposite sex, but that too finds its way into our writing.
 
I thought I had a story to tell when I wrote my first novel about people who lived 100,000 years ago and their wolf friends. I wasn’t there, but I nailed it with a ton of the latest scientific research and common sense. So we write what we know or are about to know.

When I started with RWA San Diego I entered the Spring Into Romance contest and placed in the middle of a bunch of women (I assume). This year I tied for fifth. So I write what I know by association with my loving chapter mates, all the great writers at the chapter, the courses, and talks offered. I think finishing fifth demonstrates that I can write romance.

Okay, I wasn’t really watching Project Runway with a male friend. Most guys have a hard time understanding art as it is applied and showcased in it’s many forms (I love that show). The most beautiful form for me being the human female followed by my dogs of course.

2 comments:

  1. Relationships are what it's all about when it comes to writing romance and it sure sounds like you've given that a lot of thought (all that thinking!). Tying for 5th is a great achievement -- I can see 1st place as your target next year (if you're eligible and aren't already PAN).

    Pam

    ReplyDelete