Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Erotica versus romance

A friend of mine sent a New York Times article on an Erotica (An Erotica Pioneer Goes from Hero to villain for dozens of authors)  author who was having legal trouble with her publisher. I wrote back:

Apparently, I have reached the limit of free articles and I haven't even started yet (of maybe a long time ago)... Anyway, I found the article under PressNewsAgency. Also NYT was there too but I dare not go there, lol. I read it, yay.

Now for my critique. First of all, thank you for this article. The reporter got most of it right. Naturally when you don't really know the industries a good reporter gathers disparate facts and at some point moves on because it's his/her job to continue onto another assignment. So, first off Erotica has a different purpose and shouldn't be lumped in with romance. Romance is about love. Erotica is about sex. They're separate genres. Also the reporter lumped all small, medium and independent presses into one category. A category of scammers. I got published through the Wild Rose Press a highly respected and 100% ethical publisher. They were attracted to my interracial story, which I mostly write.

Lately I have veered from romance. My latest, The Chess Master, is a story about a little girl who lost her daddy and struggles with reality, as she 'talks' to him every night. I might try a mystery, magical realism, or sci fi. I just don't know yet. How about you? what are you doing with the written word?

BTW, RWA (Romance Writers of America) is sort of imploding thanks to lingering Trumpists (IMO) who bring their virulent form of racism to the forums. They toasted me about Cinnamon & Sugar, really a sweet story. The RWA has tried to fix this problem but it struggles on. So I'm probably not going to renew in 2022, not necessarily because of their struggles but because I may be moving on to other genres as mentioned..

I hope all is well with you,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment