Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, August 15, 2021

Query letters

Queries are hard to write. The only way to know if you got it right is if an agent asks you to send a full manuscript. This is the email query I sent that made an agent ask for a full and who knows if they'll like it.

Dear xxxxx,

We met at, or I know you from, or we share a common interest in fiction about multi-culturalism.

I often write about beautiful, smart heroines from marginalized communities. My story is like a contemporary version of The Queen's Gambit but more realistic—as a chess master I know if you want to win, drugs or alcohol will stop you. [This reference comes from The Queen's Gambit. If the agent doesn't get it, then to my way of thinking he/she isn't right for this project.]

My publisher The Wild Rose Press doesn’t do coming-of-age stories. The Chess Master, a 66,000-word contemporary is a novel set first in Camden NJ then NYC. A little black girl, Tayshia, from a rundown neighborhood, loses her daddy but keeps him in her heart primarily through memories of playing chess with him.

It is also a story about her two sisters, brother, Mom, the family’s friends, and an ex-spy who all travel the journey with her as she xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. The ex-spy must eliminate his nemesis xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Roadblocks confront them on the journey but it is her growth that is the crux of the story.

Sami Robinson, a woman of color, and author of Broken Toy has collaborated with me on the story. Sami is at: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxgmail.com.

The ms. has been endorsed and edited by Doctor Leroy Dubeck, former United States Chess Federation President, Cy Lakdawala, pre-eminent author of 50 chess books published through Everyman Chess and/or New in Chess, and Ann Robson, a gifted author who belongs to my critique group. I am an RWA member and have held board positions with RWASD (San Diego). Check in with my editor at The Wild Rose Press Judi Mobley at judi@thewildrosepress.com if you like. Leroy and Cy are renowned influencers in chess. I too have a strong chess following.

No comments:

Post a Comment