Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Rhapsody in Black and White

I sat through my grandson’s participation in a band concert at Buena Vista High School last night and marveled at how the kids did such a great job with Rhapsody in Blue. Could I find an analogy to writing? Maybe.

Rhapsody in Blue evokes strong emotions in me with no guide book or words. I don’t know how it affects you, but its mix of Jazz and Classical illustrates an ode to life in New York City. A never ending, never sleeping, always competing, always yearning story of living in the Big Apple. Of course, this cacophony is subjective.

What about writing? The best writing pulls on your soul, takes you somewhere beyond the black and white. It may be as simple as walking along with Sherlock Holmes as he solves a crime, or as joyous as Hamilton.

Our job as writers is not only to write concretely but to engage the reader emotionally. Anything less is not a rhapsody. It may be a jingle and that’s okay.

So how do I get from George Gershwin’s Rhapsody to writing? Maybe I don’t. The best I can do is say that even though Rhapsody has no words, it is as clear to me as the writing of Hemingway. Anybody care to complete this analogy?


No comments:

Post a Comment