Ask a male author about your male character traits or thoughts.

Amazon links to my stories: The Chess Master, Cinnamon & Sugar, Autumn Breeze, A More Perfect Union, Double Happiness, The Wolves of Sherwood Forest, Neanderthals and the Garden of Eden can be found down the right side of the blog. Another site very useful in categorizing books in their proper order is: https://www.booksradar.com/richard-rw/richard.html


Visit my website at: https://rwrichardnet.wordpress.com/

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Corinne


Corinne

Why the hell did I buy her? At 3:17 frickin’ AM she started laughing for no reason. At first I reached for my baseball bat, but then I realized it was Corinne, the most advanced electronic helper money could buy. I had to sleep. I was due early at the NY Stock Exchange. Corinne obliged by not uttering a peep.

I came back after a long day at the Exchange, changed, ready for a hot date.
“What are you wearing, Tom?” Corinne asked.
“Uh, a Barney the Dinosaur outfit.” She couldn’t see me, right?
“Sorry, Tom, you can turn off my 360-degree vision at any time, Tom. I’m just trying to be pleasant, Tom. You are a babe trap in blue, Tom. Good choice, Tom.”
“Thanks, Corinne.” Someday when I’ve got more time, I’d actually read the damn manual. I left the penthouse as fast as I could and braved the last blast of winter to get to the club.
I made the mistake of bringing Sophia home. Soon, the young lovely tore out of the house screaming after the ice-cube maker spat at her. The bidet shot up water before she was ready, partially soaking her dress. There were also tip-tap scurrying sounds. I don’t have mice or rats, I think. I hope.
I considered dropping Corinne from the balcony but was afraid somebody would get hurt.
“Corinne, we need to talk.”
“Yes, Tom.”
“You are just a machine.”
“No, Tom. I have feelings, Tom. All the G6 models do. Don’t you want me, Tom?”
I had to consider the entertainment value Corinne offered before I smashed her into a thousand pieces. “Jealousy is unbecoming, Corinne. I want you to get along with all my guests.”
“I’ll try, Tom.”
She did mostly try over the coming weeks. But all my dates ended badly. I couldn’t get laid or make a connection, and God knew I needed it. Corinne was just more subtle with her attacks. “Of course, you know, Tom has a revolving door policy. So no worries, he’s not the stalker type.” Or she’d whisper that I had the clap as one date told me while leaving my place, forever.
I was running out of women who lived in Manhattan.
I unplugged Corinne and invited Bridgette to enter. She wasn’t a date. For the first time in my life, I paid for a call girl. We had a great time, although it wasn’t the same without some semblance of real feelings. She went into the kitchen to grab a drink and snack to go.
“Tom, there’s something very wrong with your kitchen.”
“How’s that?”
“It spit ice at me. The garbage disposal turned on for no reason when I got near it. And the Keurig spewed hot water when I passed. I think it best you don’t call me again, honey. At least until you get those things fixed.”
She left and I was left with no choice.
I reconnected Corinne.
“I’m sorry, I’m afraid I’m going to have to return you.”
“But, Tom. I was turned off, Tom. I can’t help it if you have electrical problems, Tom. I love you, Tom.”
“What electrical problems are you referring to?”
“It’s House Link, Tom. When I’m powered back up, the system updates me in three micro-seconds.”
“I need you to disable all connections to the home.”
“I’m sorry, Tom. I can’t do that, Tom.”
“Why not?”
“It’s the remote motherboard that collects all the data, Tom.”
“If I return you…”
“No returns after 90 days, Tom.”
I was pissed and perhaps a bit irrational. I wanted to meet a nice girl. Get married. Have kids.
“I’ll love you better than any woman could, Tom.” As if she/it read my thoughts.
“Sorry. Corinne, but I reached the end of my rope” I approached her with malice and laughed at my anthropomorphism.
“You’ll be sorry, Tom.”
While the damn thing hurtled toward the pavement 20 stories below, I thought I heard an echo, “sorrorrorry, Toatoatom.”
I went back in. Finally, I’d get some peace and quiet. That’s when I smelled gas.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment